Getting around Espoo and capital area of Helsinki is easy and affordable. There are several types of tickets available for different travel needs.
Getting around Espoo and capital area of Helsinki is easy and affordable with extensive public transportation network operated by Helsinki Region Transport (HSL). HSL is a joint local authority who plans and organizes public transport in the region and improves its operating conditions. HSL procures bus, tram, metro, ferry and commuter train services in Helsinki Region.
The HSL area is divided into four zones, identified by the letters A, B, C and D, spreading out from the center of Helsinki. Ticket prices are based on the distance traveled, i.e. on the distance from the center of Helsinki. Helsinki, Espoo, Kauniainen and Vantaa are located in zones A, B and C and Kerava, Sipoo, Tuusula, Kirkkonummi and Siuntio are in zone D.
- AB (Helsinki, Kauniainen, part of Espoo and part of Vantaa.)
- ABC (Helsinki, Kauniainen, Espoo and Vantaa.)
- ABCD (Helsinki, Kauniainen, Espoo, Vantaa, Kerava, Sipoo, Kirkkonummi, Siuntio and Tuusula.)
- BC (Helsinki (not the center), Kauniainen, Espoo and Vantaa.)
- BCD (Helsinki (not the center), Kauniainen, Espoo, Vantaa, Kerava, Sipoo, Kirkkonummi, Siuntio and Tuusula.)
- CD (Part of Espoo, part of Vantaa, Kerava, Sipoo, Kirkkonummi, Siuntio and Tuusula.)
- D (Kerava, Sipoo, Kirkkonummi, Siuntio and Tuusula.)
NOTE! You cannot buy a single ticket for zone A, B or C.
Single tickets can be purchased from the bus drivers, HSL-app or from ticket machines. Tickets cannot be bought from trains or trams. Ticket machines can be found from the main stations.
If you need to use the public transport more often during your trip it’s recommendable to purchase a single charged card. You can choose the number of days for your ticket from 1 to 7 days. The ticket will be paid beforehand and it entitles you to use the public transport as much as you want within the chosen period. Cards are sold in HSL-app, sales and service points. You can also buy day tickets from the ticket machines. Check the sales points, service points and locations of the machines from HSL website.
Routes and timetables
Find the routes and timetables conveniently from the HSL’s Journey Planner.
The new west metro line will connect the capital region even better. The Helsinki metro is set to continue to Espoo as a West Metro line - operation began in 2017.